Sunday 19 April 2009

Sunday Supplement: Nymphenburg Wish List




As I said before, when I want things I draw them. It helps. Porzellan Manufaktur Nymphenburg produces such exquisite pieces, in form and colour, that these watercolour drawings do them little justice but I liked the process of contemplation. Doing the vase, I kept wondering if Giotto could draw the perfect oval too? I found it impossible and it increased my respect for the makers of this sublime butterfly vase. It was designed by Wolfgang von Wersin, 1958 and decorated by Ted Muehling, 2000. H. 10.5 cm





I adore figurines now, never really did when I was younger. This is a Commedia dell’Arte character Scaramuz designed by Franz Anton Bustelli 1759/60 H. 20cm. Seems remarkable that it is still in production.





The Swallow designed by Theodor Karner in 1910 H. 8 cm

Find out more about the company's distinguished 260 year old history on their very beautiful website which carries these intriguing images of the factory and a visit from Queen Elizabeth II.












4 comments:

  1. How could one NOT love nymphenburg! Even a non-affectionado (like ourselves) can appreciate the artistry and lightness of the porcelain! They're really amazing! Hopefully someday I'll be able to add some to my collection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are stunning...thank for sharing ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stefan, I'd kill for some Nymphenburg porcelain myself.

    Couldn't be.. Thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been in that very room! (The one the Queen's in I mean.) Nymphenburg is the most amazing place and product. And I want to buy that bird sketch.

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails